Marketing departments continue to face new challenges even in the age of digital advances and automation. According to the 2017 State of Inbound Report, some of the top challenges included identifying the right technology for marketing needs. This is quite significant as technology is a great enabler in the hands of marketers.
Consider printing for example. Offset and other types of printing technology are laborious, cumbersome and time-consuming; they slowed down the pace of campaigns, until the advent of large format digital printing in 1991.
What is large format digital printing?
Large format digital printers are much larger computer-controlled printing machines; they use much larger print rolls, the width of which can range between 18” and 100”. No plates or cylinders are involved in the printing process. The technology is generally inkjet, where nozzles fire jets of ink directly on to the large-sized print roll fed into the printer.
Why is it so popular?
Business organizations rely hugely on large format printing today, as it’s a great combination of low-cost, quick turnaround and high quality printing.
- Affordability: Other forms of printing such as lithography and offset require first templates that use film plates, photo chemicals and lots of ink; no wonder they cost more. In contrast, digital printing requires no such preparation; printing is done directly and instantly and so it is affordable.
- Flexibility: Since the data for printing is created and stored digitally, it’s easy to make quickly design changes and enhancements in real time and with minimum effort, allowing multiple designs to be printed in every batch.
- Consistency: Other types of printing such as screen and offset show variations between one print to another; this is due to dependency on hardware. On the other hand, digital printing software controls these parameters effectively, and hence prints are consistent throughout.
- Variety: Digital printers use water-based inks or UV curable screen printing inks. The latter allows printing on any surface or material such as paper, glass, wood, vinyl or sintra.
- Speed: There is no need for any preparation or prior setup and all processes are digital. Thus, large format digital printers can output 5x4 or larger prints than other print technologies, making it possible for the entire printing job to be completed the same day.
- Eye-catching: Large format banners and posters used in billboards or hoardings are terribly eye-catching; they bring more conversions than print media content, making them ideal for advertising.
- Long-lasting: Thanks to the quality of inks used in large format digital printing, banners, posters and billboards printed this way can last for months or even a year, braving the elements without any deterioration in quality.
- Eco-friendly: Other forms of printing require printing to be done in bulk. This is wasteful and toxic to the environment as the unused prints are dumped as trash. In contrast, digital printing requires no preparation, and so prints can be taken as and when needed.
Large format digital print products
The following are popular large format digital print products:
- Vinyl Sign Banners
- Custom Printed Signs
- Posters (cloth/paper/vinyl)
- Booth Graphics
- Printed Stickers
- Retail Graphics
- Hoardings and billboards
- Backlit Signs
- Stretched, fine art Canvas Prints
- Floor Graphics
- Canvas Prints
- Wall Paper
- Building wraps
- Printed Table Cloths
Large format digital prints are what you may need to boost your sagging sales. It is best to engage a reputed professional agency, which will do a good job and record impressive returns from your outdoor campaigns.